Sunday, July 14, 2013

WEEK 4: Activity #13 FORMATIVE ASSESSMENT

I have tons of tools in my belt, but no expertise using them still. I'm suuuuuuuuch a slow learner with this that I am hopefully developing more patience for than humility in how my students might feel coming into a reading or writing course with THEIR anxiety!

I do love what I am learning, despite the mental breakdown every few tasks :). Though I do spend time on Facebook, I found that I like tools for the classroom more than social media, though -- this is all just so much to organize and use, and I still doubt if it is more a distractor than a useful educational tool for my students. I guess the only way to know is by trying some of them, maybe two or three a semester. This would not be the first time I have discovered students are more capable than I! In fact, I think I may add some of the programs to my beginning of the year survey to that I have "experts" to teach ME! Let's see!

Otherwise, I am curious to try a socrative.com survey on student media (like phones in class?). Has anyone tried it before????  How is the cheating, or do you rush them as part of a plot not to cheat?

I like the ever-blooming use of Google docs.  Using the Google form to make a quiz was interesting, though I would be curious about cheating, again, unless used more like homework with explanations added?  I am eager to get more responses so I can play with the Fluburoo options.  It is attractive to have formal ways to review data and be able to show students (though typically I could do that by hand with my small classes).

Padlet is intriguing, though somehow not as easy as I thought.  I might put some graphic organizers online with interaction. One such vocabulary tool I use may be useful on Padlet...

1 comment:

  1. Using graphic organizers with Padlet is a great idea.

    I like your point at the beginning. You are getting a sense of how your students might feel coming into a writing class. Good point.

    Don't get frustrated. This course is a lot to handle in 5 weeks. Your blog posts are a reflection of your learning and you can always go back to it, the class wiki and the class blog as resources.

    ReplyDelete